We are committed to supporting independent medical education to help advance medicine and patient care by improving the knowledge of the medical community.
Independent Medical Education (IME) is an educational program/activity for healthcare professionals (HCPs) that is not controlled or influenced by Portola employees or agents. The program is typically provided by professional associations, independent educational providers, hospitals and educational institutions.
Funding Priorities and Requirements Grant requests must recognize unmet educational needs of a target audience and demonstrate how the program will help address these needs.
The funding request must be consistent with Portola’s educational areas of interest. The following are educational aims supported by Portola.
THERAPEUTIC AREA: Reversal of DOAC activity
- Demonstrate the burden of illness and unmet medical need of severe bleeding from DOAC
- Describe the current reversal and treatment strategies being used to treat DOAC-associated bleeds
- Identify high-risk patients with major bleeding secondary to DOAC use
- Introduce new and investigational reversal agents for DOAC
THERAPEUTIC AREA: Extended VTE prophylaxis in acute medically ill patients
- Demonstrate the burden of illness of VTE risk post hospitalization in patients admitted for acute medical illness
- Describe the standard of care and current use of VTE prophylaxis in the acute care setting
- Present ongoing and completed clinical trials assessing safety and efficacy of Factor Xa inhibitors for extended VTE prophylaxis in the hospital and post-hospitalization setting
- Introduce and discuss the concept of patient stratification for extended VTE prophylaxis using D-dimer and other risk factors
We request that you take the following steps:
- Review funding priorities and requirements
- Review application requirements
- Download and complete the grant request form, including all attachments
- Submit grant
The following information is required as part of your application:
- Grant request form
- Program description
- Program objectives
- Target audience
- Needs assessment summarizing justification for program (attachment)
- Signed cover letter stating grant is restricted to specific educational purpose (attachment)
- Program agenda or brochure (attachment)
- Detailed budget for the program (attachment)
- Accreditation statement, including number of approved hours if CME (attachment)
- W-9 Form / W-8BEN Form (attachment)
- Plan for post-program reconciliation: attainment of objectives, use of funds, return of unused funds
Please submit the completed application form and all relevant documents by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Portola has a rolling review policy when evaluating funding requests for IME. We ask that grant proposals be submitted at least 90 days prior to the program start date. We will notify you of our decision prior to the project/program start date.